Review: Wanderlust by Skye Warren

Wanderlust by Skye Warren

Standalone
Publication Date: April 14th, 2013
Genres: Dark Romance, Erotica
Length: 232 pages
Can love come from pain?

Evie always dreamed of seeing the world, but her first night at a motel turns into a nightmare. Hunter is a rugged trucker willing to do anything to keep her--including kidnapping. As they cross the country in his rig, Evie plots her escape, but she may find what she's been looking for right beside her.

Wanderlust is a full-length dark romance novel that explores captivity and power. Not intended for those uncomfortable with the subject matter or under 18 years of age. I can’t be held responsible for corrupting you. If you have a taste for all things naughty, then you’re going to devour these taboo treats!


MY REVIEW

My first read from Skye Warren because many people recommend this book to me. I always fascinated with dark read and it has been the most popular genre. Wanderlust isn't like what I've expected. It was crazy and rough ride; not for everyone.

The story told from Evie's POV; a sheltered girl from outside world. Despite her over-protective mother warnings, Evie hold on her final decision to leave. Her destination is the Niagara Falls, from the only book that she had. But her journey isn't easy like she thought. Evie met a strangely handsome man and something feels wrong.


Like Alice, I had stepped through the looking glass into a whole new world, foreign and sinister.


It's not my first captive story but Hunter really scared me. The needs to have something you shouldn't appear unexpectedly; out of nowhere. Their first encounter was disturbing and I felt horrible about what happened to Evie. Her freedom was robbed from her once again. Somehow, they start to have small talks but Evie still formulate escape plan. I liked her because she's not a damsel in distress A fighter and survivor.

I was a caterpillar, my many limbs held tight to my body, wrapped up in a cocoon. He paved the way, eased me from a small and ugly life to a beautiful one. The transition had been painful at times, but never more than it would be to leave him. But that was the path of a butterfly—to fly away from the one who had made her.

It was hard to understand Hunter at first because there is not much info about him. Evie was too afraid of being dependable to Hunter and finally free. But it isn't for long because Evie started to feel something for him. I'm surprised with their progress after everything also some secrets discovered about the real him. So much hurts, anger and disappointment.

I had a home. For twenty years I was trapped inside one. Now I want to roam. With you.”
“I’ll never be the kind of man who can be gentle with you, Evie. Not like you deserve.”
“I’m not the kind of girl who needs gentle. You aren’t the only fucked-up person here, you know.”
“You shouldn’t talk like that,” he said mildly.
“And I was broken long before we even met.”
“You’re not broken... I love the way you are. The way you’re terrified but do it anyway. The way you stand up to me when you shouldn’t.”

Wanderlust is really something else. A 'healing' journey for two broken souls who met in strange way. I really enjoyed the pace because I couldn't put down this book. Beautifully written and really engaging story. I was hoped to know more about their togetherness. Overall, it was a great psychological story with complex feelings. I know it's a bit unreal but I'd really recommend you to read it! Dark and gritty at first but sunshine in the end.

All I wanted was to be with Hunter wherever his rig should take us. Across the country, around the world.
Like chasing rainbows and capturing each one in the smile it gave us.

No comments :

Post a Comment