Review: Ruckus by L.J. Shen

Ruckus by L.J. Shen

Series: Sinners of Saint #2
Publication Date: May 23rd, 2017
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Length: 369 pages
Rosie

They say that life is a beautiful lie and death a painful truth. They're right.
No one has ever made me feel more alive than the guy who serves as a constant reminder that my clock is ticking.
He is my forbidden, shiny apple.
The striking fallacy to my blunt, raw, truth.
He is also my sister's ex-boyfriend.
One thing you should know before you judge me;
I saw him first. I craved him first. I loved him first.
Eleven years later, he waltzed into my life, demanding a second chance.
Dean Cole wants to be my bronze horseman. My white knight has finally arrived. Hopefully, he isn’t too late.

Dean

They say the brightest stars burn out the fastest. They’re right.
She sets my mind on fire.
All smart mouth, snarky attitude and a huge heart.
In a world where everything is dull, she shines like Sirius.
Eleven years ago, fate tore us apart.
This time, I dare it to try.
Getting to her is a battlefield, but man, that’s why they call me Ruckus.
Rosie LeBlanc is about to find out how hard I can fight.
And conquering her will be the sweetest victory.

Ruckus is a complete standalone and a part of the Sinners of Saint series


MY REVIEW


As one of the most anticipated book on May 2017, LJ Shen succeed to entrap many people with the promise of Dean Cole's story. I'm one of them for sure. But, as the minority of #DeanSucks in the previous book, Vicious, this is a must read. Also I'm so against him with Rosie, Emilia's sister who is very sick from the start of this series. Ruckus definitely couldn't read as a standalone in my opinion because it has so much connection between character back and forth. Well, here's my 'little' rant about the mixed feelings for Dean and Rosie as a couple. Maybe a bit unpopular and spoiler-ish.

A bit recap from Vicious, Rosie LeBlanc is the younger sister from Emilia soon-to-be Spencer aka Vicious's wife. Emilia is the hard-working sister while Rosie's sickness is slowly eating her alive. Young Emilia has history with Dean Cole before she's with Vicious. They dated and it feels genuinely from what I've read. It revealed later in Ruckus that Dean considered he's the white knight to save Emilia by dating her. Well, it works. Apparently, Dean's true goal is only Rosie.

The story told from dual POVs between Rosie and Dean. There's a bit flashbacks of their past. It revealed so much question I've been waiting for but didn't really impress. Dean with hidden agendas and Rosie's insta-lust for the first time. Of course, Rosie is still bitter with Dean when he chose Emilia in the past. Nowadays, Rosie has her own freedom while Emilia back with Vicious in Todos Santos. She actually works as a some kind of nurse and part-time barista(?). The Rosie I remembered from Vicious was sickly annoying and not that memorable. It's a good thing then she changed.


Moving on Dean 'Ruckus' Cole. I'm surprised with his nickname because he's ABSOLUTELY far from it. He's just a spoiled rich fuckboi with family drama. He hides his bitterness very well. Dean waltzed himself back to Rosie's life after all this time. Like no communication at all and suddenly dictate everything about her? Especially when he aimed for sex. Of course, Rosie isn't that whipped with his dreamy request. She made him 'fight' for it.


As the story, I admitted LJ Shen totally nailed it. Ruckus is unputdownable for strange reason and I'm very much intrigued with the premise of their 'relationship'. Whatever it is, I have some unpopular issues.
First, the bible reference. It's a joke, right? Ha ha ha...
Second, the make-believe OW issue. Smart one and almost believable.
Third, LeBlanc's family drama. Totally soap opera worthy. They tried so hard to care about Rosie's well-being with no action, talk only.
Fourth, I couldn't believe how Emilia turned into... snob(?). You know the new-rich-syndrome. Sigh.
Finally, Vicious still looks like a king who own everything. He's still deadly and calculated. A bonus for this book! LOL

Again, the story focused on how Dean's chasing after Rosie because she's the one who got away. The one who should be with him when he still man-whoring himself. Cough. Of course, Rosie's self-defense isn't that perfect and she easily melted with Dean's dirty promises. Actually, I'm quite enjoyed it at first. It was fun and harmless. Until Rosie's having a few breakdown or martyr syndrome because Dean was with her sister. Hate-fuck-hate-fuck and goes on... For real?


Anyway, a very worthy laughable award is, when Dean appeared to be more 'dominant' and 'darker' than his cheerful-self. I just couldn't contain my roll eyes and such a turn off. Also, the dumbest moment award is for Rosie. Why? As a very sickly girl, Rosie has zero responsibility. Sometimes she just neglected the warnings from her body. She's too busy to stick her nose on somewhere else. In the end, she had it coming.

The final verdict. Not 4 or 5 stars. Because I already gave 4 stars for my Vicious and no way Ruckus has the same rating. The sudden OTT Cole's family drama really unexpected and kinda fucked up. But I just couldn't believe what I read. But I already saw it coming and not surprised with the ending.

Oh, I also didn't convinced with Trent's future story. Honestly, I'm sad for him. He seems decent and honest guy with bad luck. I hope Miss Shen didn't messed this one with another OTT drama. Overall, this one is really enjoyable but I'm not really impressed. LJ Shen really blew me away with DEFY and VICIOUS. But with RUCKUS? Like she tried really hard to satisfied everyone's hunger for Dean and Rosie. But I guess, it's not for everyone. I liked it, but not enough to love it. Vicious is still the #1 because he's an honest asshole and give no shit!

No comments :

Post a Comment