Review: The Bad Guy by Celia Aaron

The Bad Guy by Celia Aaron

Standalone
Publication Date: May 21st 2017
Genres: Dark, Contemporary Romance, Erotica
Length: 414 pages
My name is Sebastian Lindstrom, and I’m the villain of this story.

I’ve decided to lay myself bare. To tell the truth for once in my hollow life, no matter how dark it gets. And I can assure you, it will get so dark that you’ll find yourself feeling around the blackened corners of my mind, seeking a door handle that isn’t there.

Don’t mistake this for a confession. I neither seek forgiveness nor would I accept it. My sins are my own. They keep me company. Instead, this is the true tale of how I found her, how I stole her, and how I lost her.

She was a damsel, one who already had her white knight. But every fairy tale has a villain, someone waiting in the wings to rip it all down. A scoundrel who will set the world on fire if that means he gets what he wants. That’s me.

I’m the bad guy.

Author's Note: This is a 90,000-word romance with dark themes and a HEA. For a limited time, my dark romance Counsellor will be included at the back.


MY REVIEW

Her white knight was onto something for once in his useless life. She was made for me, just as I’d been fashioned from the darkest materials for her. Her light would temper my shadow.

As one of the most anticipated book this month, I expect a lot from The Bad Guy. I thought this book is gonna have the same vibe like Dark Protector; anti-hero with action suspense. But the truth is, just your usual contemporary romance with Stockholm syndrome (believe it or not). Not feeling the dark elements as well because nothing is too extreme/off limits (for me).

Camille Briarlane is just an ordinary teacher with handsome boyfriend. She went to a exclusive party and met the mysterious CEO, Sebastian Lindstrom. It's just one dance that will change Camille's life when a self-proclaimed psychopath decided to keep her. Sebastian think she's the one who will set him free and for her, he will do anything.

Well, Camille is just okay for me. She has positive vibe around her. She loves her job as a teacher also passionate in botany. Her pure and naive thinking didn't scream anything for me. Actually, she was quite dull before Sebastian.

The fair maiden wanted the monster more than she needed the knight.

What Sebastian did definitely wrong. Kidnapping someone and in hope for her to fall in love with him? *roll eyes* This happened in several dark romance books. But I just couldn't connect with his 'psychopath' thinking. Sebastian thinks he's the villain in the story. In fact, he's just different than others. He has no feelings or empathy with his surrounding but I'm amazed with his dark humor. As a human, he couldn't read emotions between happy, sad, angry, etc. Camille labeled him as a "Robot" because of his calculation.


The story told from dual POVs between Sebastian and Camille. It was really dragging with no end. The repeated reason when Sebastian wish Camille would fall for him and she's still plotting her escape. I just couldn't feel the chemistry at all. Well, your captor is insanely hot, good at dirty talk, and super rich... there's the insta-lust. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite that I kinda liked Sebastian a bit. But for love? You're asking too much...

“What do you want?”
“Just a kiss.”
A thrill shot through me, and I hated myself for it. He was horrible, a kidnapper, a stalker—every bad guy rolled into one.

Again, Camille became stupid/naive also clingy yet friend-zone her boyfriend. Grr... I didn't know how Sebastian could fall for her and vise versa. Except she's an angel in his eyes. Overall, the plot is totally mislead me with non-sense of his self-proclaimed psychopath. At least he's not into raping the heroine into submission. Pft. Anyway, I'm quite disappointed with the rushed ending and how easily she surrender to him. I'm so tired with overly obsessive stalker man.

No comments :

Post a Comment