Review: Dark Notes by Pam Godwin

Dark Notes by Pam Godwin

Standalone
Publication Date: April 6th, 2016
Genres: Dark, Contemporary Romance, Erotica
Length: 428 pages
They call me a slut. Maybe I am.
Sometimes I do things I despise.
Sometimes men take without asking.

But I have a musical gift, only a year left of high school, and a plan.
With one obstacle.

Emeric Marceaux doesn't just take.
He seizes my willpower and bangs it like a dark note.
When he commands me to play, I want to give him everything.
I kneel for his punishments, tremble for his touch, and risk it all for our stolen moments.

He's my obsession, my master, my music.


MY REVIEW

My first read from Pam Godwin and I'm in love. This book was so hype in everywhere. Goodreads and facebook. A forbidden student-teacher romance? Mainstream. What about a kinky dominant teacher with taboo relationship? That's new. Also he teach music and I loved man with piano.


Ivory Westbrook (17) lives in poverty with her useless mother, abusive brother and adorable cat. Everyday she fights to maintain herself in Le Moyne; a music school for rich kids. It is not easy. Ivory was stamped as a school slut and doesn't have many friends. Every girl sneer at her. Every boy wants to get in her panties. Her only dream is Leopold which is impossible because someone didn't want her to pass even she's talented musician. I was so amazed with her strength. She's mature enough in her age to survive her very fucked up life. Ivory has brutal past with no one's help until she meet him.

Emeric Marceaux (27) work as music teacher at Le Moyne to leave his scandal and get together with his family. But work at Le Moyne came with string attached. His first meet with Ivory changed everything. She's different. Ivory carry a lot of baggage and Emeric decided to know everything about her. I believe it isn't easy for Emeric. It was insta-lust with Ivory before he knows her fucked up life. Still, this woman succeed blindsided him. As her teacher, Emeric cares until the day he pushed her limit.

She whimpers softly, bows her back, rocks her hips, raises up on her toes. And never lets go of the wall.
She likes it rough, wants to be humiliated, needs to be dominated. If she’s aware of this, she would never admit it.

This story isn't about a damsel in distress. The fact that Ivory didn't need help from Emeric was shown from very first. But he isn't blind. The first 60% showed how Ivory and Emeric is trying to work out their student/teacher relationship. Before he goes further with Ivory, he still couldn't move on from his ex. Comparing everything with her. I was annoyed with the facts he still thinking about the ex. It was no surprise that Emeric is in denial with his feeling. Time goes on, he is ready to start a new relationship with Ivory. Emeric clean all her mess and decided to claimed Ivory to be his.

I loved this story with 2 POVs so I know what's inside their head. What happened with Ivory always makes me cringes. It was so horrible and painful. GAH! I'm so happy that Emeric saved the day. He's patiently threaded everything with Ivory. Their sexual tension was unquestionable. He didn't want to rush everything/traumatized her but damn, he hardly control himself.

Ivory is the one who changed Emeric. She didn't push but also realize that she's already fall in love with her teacher/savior. I enjoyed how kinky and powerful Emeric is. I loved all his perv also romantic side. Although it isn't really 24/7 BDSM and they play without label, I could feel the real power exchange between them.

The tempo of our breaths. The drum of our heartbeats. The crackle in the air.
The exquisite cadence pulses through me, awakening sensations I’ve never felt, composing a melody I’ve never heard.
Our hypnotic, dark notes.
This is so much more than punishment or forbidden pleasure.

Why is not 5 stars? Well, there are some issues for me. First, I didn't recall Ivory could drive. It was careless for Emeric to give her a Porsche. Ugh the perks of filthy rich dominant who didn't wanna hear rejection. Second, the branded stuff. I know how shitty Ivory's life but it isn't necessary to show how sudden Ivory could have that stuff. Last, the story was quite predictable and too coincidental. Just predictable and somehow, careless. Also I didn't like when the ex came back with pregnancy issues.

Nonetheless, the ending was fantastic and definitely what I hoped for. Totally enjoyed this book very much. Beautifully written and almost perfect. Pam Godwin succeed to bring anti-mainstream teacher-student relationship (which is usually I avoid/DNF). But with kink? Never say never. Gosh, I need to read her other books. ASAP!

That look in his eyes, the devotion rimmed in desire, is my centering pitch, my musical note, the one that induces the perfect wave of vibrations inside me, balancing me.

Notes: I was curious with his unusual name. It's French but what does Emeric mean? (Germanic) work; rich, powerful, ruler; (Welsh) immortal. Hmm... no wonder, LordandMaster;)

No comments :

Post a Comment